A walking festival makes a great focal point for a motorhome or campervan holiday in Scotland.
If you are making for a motorhome or campervan holiday in Scotland why not focus on an event, such as a walking festival. You can enjoy the freedom of your own mobile accommodation while benefitting from the guidance of local experts who will lead a range of walks to suit all fitness levels and interests.
The longest established walking festival in Scotland is the annual Scottish Borders Walking Festival, which takes place from September 7 to 14.
His year marks the 25th editon of the week-long event, hosted by Selkirk and the Valleys (Ettrick and Yarrow) in a beautiful, unspoilt and still relatively unknown part of southern Scotland.
The festival is non-profit-making. Some charges are made for the countryside walks to cover costs but every attempt is made to keep prices low. In fact many are offered for free or “pay as you please”.
The organising team comprises volunteers.
What to expect at Scottish Borders Walking Festival 2019
- 28 daily countryside walks of varying lengths and levels of difficulty
- Walks led by rangers and others by local volunteer walk leaders.
- Free and easy strolls led by local people with special interest themes
- Social event programme
- Festival First Night Welcome on September 7 in Selkirk’s Victoria Halls, with local performers.
- Ceilidh night on September 13. This will also be a fundraising opportunity for local charity Tweed Valley Mountain Rescue.
- Special guest, outdoors writer and presenter Cameron McNeish.
Did you know?
Cameron’s most recent best-selling book, There’s Always the Hills, won the 2018 The Great Outdoors Magazine Book of the Year award.
Cameron will be giving a presentation on There’s Always the Hills with a book signing afterwards.
Keep track of updates
The Festival is supported by Scottish Borders Council, Live Borders, Selkirk Community Council and Ettrick and Yarrow Community Council.
Book a campervan hire early
Open Road Scotland has a range of campervans and motorhomes to hire in Scotland and conveniently located close to Glasgow Airport in Central Scotland. If you plan to attend one of the popular Scottish festivals it’s advisable that you book your hire as early as possible to avoid disappointment.