This year’s TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards has revealed the public’s choice of Britain’s best beaches. And, of course, many of our beautiful Scottish beaches have made it on to the list.
In eighth place is fabulous Luskentyre, on the Isle of Harris, while in 13th position is Nairn Beach on the north coast of Scotland. At number 19 is Durness beach, in windswept Sutherland, and 20th is Calgary Bay on the Isle of Mull.
Camusdarach Beach in Arisaig and Kiloran Beach, on the tiny Isle of Colonsay take 24th and 25th places respectively.
Why not seek out one or two of these beaches during a campervan or motorhome holiday to Scotland? You won’t be disappointed.
Britain’s top 25 beaches
- Woolacombe beach, Devon, England
- Weymouth beach, Dorset, England
- Rhossili Bay, Gower, Wales
- St Brelade’s Bay Beach, St Brelade, Jersey
- Porthminster, St Ives, England
- Perranporth Beach, Cornwall, England
- Fistral beach, Newquay, England
- Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth, England
- Luskentyre, Harris, Outer Hebrides, Scotland
- Sandbanks, Poole, England
- Filey Beach, Filey, England
- Gorleston Beach, Norfolk, England
- Barafundle Beach, Wales
- Llangennith beach, Wales
- Hunstanton beach, England
- Saunton Sands Beach, Braunton, England
- Mwnt Beach, Cardigan, Wales
- Nairn Beach, Highlands, Scotland
- Durness Beach, Sutherland, Scotland
- Calgary Bay, Isle of Mull, Scotland
- Bigbury-on-Sea Beach, Devon, England
- Godrevy Head, Cornwall, England
- Shell beach, Herm, Guernsey
- Camusdarach Beach, Arisaig, Scotland
- Kiloran Beach, Colonsay, Hebrides
Located on the spectacular west coast of southern Harris, Luskentyre is famous for the beautiful white sandy beach that runs for miles and the green-blue waters lapping its shores. Pic credit: Kevlyn Skee on Flickr Creative Commons
Nairn is an ancient fishing port and market town some 16 miles east of the Highlands city of Inverness. The beach boasts beautiful low sand dunes and a promenade with a grassy links area. The beach has lovely views across the Moray Firth to the Black Isles and its coastline is home to a school of dolphins. Pic credit: Lews Castle UHI on Flickr Creative Commons
Durness is a village located close to the most northwesterly point on mainland Britain. The scenery offers wide-open views of coastline, pristine beaches and turquoise waters. There are many beautiful beaches in the area and Durness is easily one of them. Nearby is Smoo Cave, a gaping hole in a sheer limestone cliff. Pic credit: Clark Hamilton on Flickr Creative Commons
Calgary is situated on the north-west coast of Mull, some 12 miles from the island’s capital Tobermory. It is framed by low hills with a fabulous white-shell sand beach and craggy headlands. Pic credit:Emma Jane Hogbin Westby on Flickr Creative Commons
Camusdarach Beach is a stunning arc of white sand lapped by clear water just south of the estuary of River Morar. It offers superb views to the Cuillin mountains on the Isle of Skye, the peaks of Rum and the sea cliff of Eigg. Camusdarach is the beach featured in the film Local Hero. Pic credit: Ian Robertson on Flickr creative commons.
Kiloran Bay is a golden crescent of sand located on the north western coast of Colonsay. It is popular with surfers, as well as walkers. Pic credit: Nige Brown on Flickr creative commons